Thursday, July 25, 2013

Review: Lost in You by Heidi Mclaughlin

Lost in YouRyan Stone is a less than average teenager. He doesn’t have fancy clothes. He doesn’t carry around the latest smartphone and he definitely doesn’t have an MP3 player. Instead, he goes to school, does his chores and dreams of a new life away from Brookfield where he’s expected to follow in his blue collar family’s footsteps.

Hadley Carter is America’s Pop Princess. A successful recording artist living her dream with a sold-out tour and a handful of Grammy’s there isn’t much that she wants for, except love. But finding love on the road is near impossible when all she longs for are romantic dinners, a nighttime stroll on the beach and holding hands with someone who isn’t going to exploit her.

When a chance encounter introduces Ryan to Hadley, will he be like her adoring fans looking for a way in, or will it be Hadley who pursues Ryan even though it might cost her the only career she's known.

Lost in You is a story about following your dreams, taking risks and getting lost in love.

 
Ryan is 17 and lives really differently from people of his age, he doesn't watch the TV, doesn't listen to a lot of music, and has a prepaid phone. Hadley is a 22 years-old young woman and is a famous popstar. They'll fall in love at first sight. The novel is about how hard is a relationship between a celebrity and a person , but also a young woman and a teenage boy who'll be soon a young man.

I think this novel has a lot of positive and negative side, I'll begin with the negative (of course I'll finish with the positive, it's better to finish on good terms)

*I didn't like the dual POV of this novel because the author used too much the pronoun "I" (it's logical since it's from each character POV) and I did read (not a lot but) some dual POV and  it never bother me, I mean it never catched my attention (the use of "I"). I also didn't like the fact that each chapter begin with a little bit of the previous each chapter (again it's logical since it's from each character POV) it's interesting, but personnally I prefer when the story is continuous even with different POV.

*The insta-love is really hard to believe, it was too much. The first chapters were really unbelievable (especially from Hadley POV <= the use of "I").

Now what I found positive was even if it was hard to believe at first slowly it becomes real, I don't know how to explain but when you read romance and it was so good because it has HEA ending, it's kind of unbelievable (at least to me), you're feeling like "Yeah it was a HEA but in real life it never happens like that". In Lost in You, the reality begins in the middle of the novel, and I was feeling like "Yep it's sad but that's the reality" and that's why I enjoyed the novel.
I also liked that the topics raised by the author were about freedom, forgiveness, family but also celebrity.

Now about the characters I didn't got attached to them because maybe I didn't recognize myself in them (of course it's a celebrity and a boy ! *get out*), even if they were well described, I don't know something was lacking for me.

Overall I enjoyed the novel, not as much as I expected but it was still good, I'd like to add that maybe I didn't understand some parts because English is not my mother tongue (even if I re-read the part) but I can say there was a lot of feelings and hot moments (yes the ending was HOT) !


No comments:

Post a Comment